Communicative Arts Division
The Communicative Arts Division offers opportunities for studying
English, Speech Communication and Languages. You will also find instructors
who are committed to each individual's progress. The emphasis is truly on helping
every student succeed.
The Writing Lab, central to EAC's English classrooms, has Macintosh
computers for word processing and instruction.
The Lab is open days and evenings, and trained tutors provide
Eastern's Communicative Arts Division also offers you the opportunity
to showcase your work in the College's arts journal, and to take advantage of
travel-study programs where you can learn a language through immersion in a
The faculty are widely-published, have been active in professional
associations, and attend regional and national conferences to stay current in
their fields. Their dedication helps you gain the skills and knowledge you need
to move forward confidently to the upper levels of other colleges and universities.
of Arts Degree (AA) - Elementary Education
of Arts Degree (AA) - Secondary Education
The English Department, one of the largest on campus, provides an array of
courses tailored to individual student needs and potentials, with initial placement
determined by a carefully designed testing program. Many students who have transferred
to universities report that the critical thinking they learned in these classes
at Eastern has been particularly valuable to them.
Eastern's English Department offers:
- Courses in Writing Fundamentals and Reading Improvement for
students seeking to upgrade their basic skills.
- A fully transferable two-semester course in Written Communications
for students working towards an Associate of Arts degree and those who are
bound for a university.
- Curricular requirements met through Technical Writing for
Associate of Applied Science degree candidates.
- University-level survey courses in English and American Literature,
as well as more advanced Writing About Literature for potential English majors
- Courses in Creative Writing, providing both fiction and poetry
experiences, with the opportunity for individually guided work in either area
through Independent Writing.
- Many English Department students who enjoy creative writing
have their first publication appearance in the annual College literary and
art magazine, "Voice".
- Additionally, nationally-acclaimed writers share their knowledge
with students in small-group workshops as part of the literary reading
of Arts Degree (AA) - English
Businesses and educational institutions everywhere are constantly in search
of people who are fluent in several languages. A second language not only opens
the door to a variety of career opportunities, it also offers insights into
In our Languages Department you'll discover:
- An emphasis on Spanish and French, with other languages available
depending on enrollment.
- Field trips to Mexico where you will experience immersion
in the Spanish language and culture.
- Individual and small group courses that provide a better
opportunity to learn a language through a more concentrated effort.
- A tutorial program designed to help individuals acquire
a second language.
of Arts Degree (AA) - Languages
As the world continues to develop closer and more complex connections, the
ability to communicate well is becoming ever more valuable. The Speech Communication
Department assists in the development of skills to meet this important demand.
Whether your goal is to teach or pursue a business career, this department's
classes offer training in human communication with focus on the sender and receiver.
- Courses in public speaking and oral interpretation which
fulfill general education requirements and transfer to baccalaureate-granting
- A Speech and Debate Club which is sponsored by the Speech
Communications Department and is open to all students.
- Informative speakers who provide fascinating insights into
current issues, and performers who augment training in speech communication.
- A survey course, Introduction to Human Communication,
that explores the realities of human communication.