Monroe H. Clark

Born and raised in Springville, Utah, and a graduate from Brigham Young University (1927), Monroe Clark became the 12th president of Gila College in June, 1940.

In spite of the rough conditions due to the war, and enrollment dropping considerably, his administration pushed for a new dormitory – a two-story concrete block structure with 26 rooms, a clubroom, and an apartment. It would occupy the west side of the campus.  The new dorm came in handy because just after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the government started a program known as the Civil Aeronautics Navy War- training Service, and Gila dormitory became the housing for the men in training. The faculty prepared themselves to teach the courses needed and enrollment grew. In 1944 Clark was able to report a $6,000 surplus.

Clark resigned in 1944 to become part of the Brigham Young University faculty, where he served for the remainder of his professional career.